Aug 4, 2020 - Sports
The "richest game" in soccer will decide who enters the Premier League
Brentford and Fulham match up on Tuesday at world-famous Wembley Stadium in the EFL Championship Playoff Final, with the winner earning promotion to the English Premier League.
Why it matters: The annual match has been dubbed "the richest game in football," with the winner receiving hundreds of millions of dollars thanks to increased TV revenue and other financial perks of joining the world's best soccer league.
How it works: The 24-team Championship automatically promotes its top two finishers, while Nos. 3–6 fight for the third and final slot.
- No. 1 Leeds United and No. 2 West Bromwich Albion earned automatic promotions.
- No. 3 Brentford beat No. 6 Swansea City, 3-2 on aggregate.
- No. 4 Fulham beat No. 5 Cardiff City, 3-2 on aggregate.
What we're watching: Brentford and Fulham are local rivals, living in the shadow of Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea in West London.
- Brentford is looking to return to the Premier League for the first time in 73 years.
- Fulham is hoping to bounce back after being relegated last season. The club is owned by Jaguars owner, Shahid Khan, and is known for signing Americans like Clint Dempsey and Brian McBride, and currently has two on the roster: starting defender Tim Ream and reserve midfielder Luca de la Torre.