Scoop: theSkimm acquires the tech behind texting platform Purple
theSkimm, which started seven years ago as a morning newsletter catered towards female millennials, has acquired the technology behind the texting platform Purple, Axios has learned. Deal terms have not been disclosed.
Why it matters: With this acquisition, the company is continuing its expansion out of the inbox.
- Purple is a text messaging platform that allows creators to charge subscribers directly for news and content updates via text messages.
- theSkimm offers texting as a part of its suite of products catered to the daily routines of paid members.
The big picture: theSkimm is investing to become a bigger part of the daily routine for its users.
- In the past few years, it's added customizable calendars and podcasts.
- A membership to theSkimm app costs $2.99 per month and includes podcasts, a calendar that syncs with important events, articles and recommendations.
- It also hired its first-ever CTO (Matt Boggie, formerly the CTO of Axios) late last year.