Trump says court pick to come July 9
President Trump has narrowed his Supreme Court shortlist to five people, including two women, he told reporters traveling with him to New Jersey today. He said he'll be interviewing candidates this weekend and that he'll announce the pick Monday, July 9.
Go deeper: Here's the list of five judges (but only one woman) that Axios' Jonathan Swan reported yesterday were on Trump's short list.
Trump also told the pool:
- On the incoming justice's position on Roe v. Wade: "I'm not going to ask them that question."
- On his meeting with Putin, he plans to talk about: "Ukraine, Syria, elections...we don’t want anyone tampering with elections.”
- On reports that Trump has been talking about wanting out of the WTO: "I’m not talking about pulling out....We’ve been treated very badly....it’s an unfair situation.”
- On reports that he's looking to replace Chief of Staff John Kelly: Kelly "is a wonderful man.We have a very very good relationship. We've achieved a lot together....I like John a lot. I like him and I respect him.”
- On the Capital Gazette shooting on Thursday: "I have a lot of respect for the press. Some of the greatest people I know are reporters."
- By the numbers: Trump's Supreme Court short list is very conservative
- Go deeper: How SCOTUS could start rolling back abortion rights
- Kennedy's shift to the left of the Supreme Court
- Trump takes over America
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily morning newsletter, Axios AM.