Payback: The New York Times ridicules Trump
A few days after the New York Times turned over its editorial page to pro-Trump readers, the paper’s opinion section torched the president from just about every angle imaginable.
The big picture: Thumb through the paper’s Sunday Review to see a variety of takes — which combine to present a view of a dumb, racist, Hillary-obsessed, globally clueless, historically awful liar of a president.
- Gail Collins, lampooning Trump’s obsession with Hillary Clinton, says his Democratic opponent won even while losing: “He really cant seem to get past her.”
- Frank Bruni opens bluntly: “A year into Donald Trump’s presidency, we’ve thoroughly established what a liar he is.”
- Sean Wilentz, a historian, argues Trump might be the worst president in the nation’s history, a “parade of disgraces.”
- Michael Kinsley, a Vanity Fair columnist, piles on: “Many people have wondered why this clown should get to be president...”
- Jamil Smith, a columnist, argues Trump is such an awful liar that his one redeeming quality is “by lying to us, in a way he has made it impossible for us to lie to ourselves.”
- Gina Abercrombie-Winstanley, a former ambassador to Malta, blamed Trump for seriously disrupting her social life.
- Roger Cohen accused him of spreading dread around the world.
- Ross Douthat, a conservative, went a little easier, saying he is more farce than tragedy.
- Annie Pfeifer, a professor, mocks Trump as a “thin-skinned bully” in making her case about conflict resolution.
- Mustafa Umar of the Islamic Institute of Orange County wrote about the dread and challenge of being Muslim in Trump’s America.