Manu Fernandez / AP

The largest conference in the mobile industry starts this weekend, with upwards of 100,000 people expected to descend on Barcelona. However, this year's Mobile World Congress may lack the punch of past gatherings.

That's because Samsung is expected to debut only a new tablet and save its flagship S8 for a March introduction. And, since Apple never introduces products at the show, that means little new from the two companies that account for majority high-end phone sales.

Plus, the lack of any big breakthrough technology means that this year's phones may look a lot like last year's models, with only a few new bells and whistles.

What will we see: Samsung rival LG is expected to debut its flagship phone, the G6, with Chinese giant Huawei also poised to debut a new high-end smartphone. Some of the most interesting debuts may actually be the 360-degree cameras and virtual reality headsets that accompany the latest models rather than the phones themselves.

There will also be lots of talk about 5G, the next generation of cellular technology. While early pilots will take place this year to use 5G-like technology for home broadband, consumer phones using 5G aren't expected until around 2020.

Go deeper

Updated 41 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of 6:30 p.m. ET: 18,387,725 — Total deaths: 696,586 — Total recoveries — 10,976,180Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 6:30 p.m. ET: 4,758,028 — Total deaths: 156,426 — Total recoveries: 1,513,446 — Total tests: 57,543,852Map.
  3. States: New York City health commissioner resigns in protest of De Blasio's coronavirus response — Local governments go to war over schools.
  4. Public health: 59% of Americans support nationwide 2-week stay-at-home order in NPR poll.
  5. Politics: Trump's national security adviser returns to work after coronavirus recovery Republicans push to expand small business loan program.
  6. Sports: Indy 500 to be held without fansRafael Nadal opts out of U.S. Open.
Updated 1 hour ago - World

At least 50 killed, 3,000 injured after massive explosion rocks Beirut

Photo: Anwar Amro/AFP via Getty Images

A major explosion has slammed central Beirut, Lebanon, damaging buildings as far as several miles away and injuring scores of people.

Driving the news: Lebanon's health minister said in televised remarks that more than 50 people have been killed and over 3,000 injured. Prime Minister Hassan Diab said the explosions occurred at a warehouse that had been storing 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate for the past six years, per NBC.

"Mulan" will head to Disney+, home to more than 60 million subscribers

An outdoor ad for Disney's "Mulan" in Hollywood, California. Photo: Rich Fury/Getty Images

Disney announced Tuesday that its most highly-anticipated blockbuster of the year, the live-action remake of "Mulan," is heading to Disney+ on Sept. 4 for consumers to purchase for a premium access fee of $29.99. The movie's theatrical debut had previously been delayed four times.

Why it matters: It's a huge blow to movie exhibitors across the country that were relying on the Disney hit to come exclusively to theaters for at least a few months before being made available to consumers at home via streaming.