Jan 17, 2017 - Politics & Policy
What to know from the Betsy Devos confirmation hearing
Trump's pick to lead the Department of Education faced tough questions from the Senate on Tuesday.
- She said she "has never believed in" conversion therapy.
- When asked about ways to make public college available to everyone, as Bernie Sanders has suggested, she dodged with: "I think we also have to consider the fact that there is nothing in life that is truly free."
- When asked if she would not support the privatization of education, she dodged again with: "I'm hopeful we can work together."
- She said "I will not be conflicted. Period," when it comes to her family ties to education companies.
- She refused to say that guns don't belong in schools.