Mar 23, 2017 - Health
Trumpcare doesn't have the votes right now
President Trump and Paul Ryan can lose no more than 22 Republican votes in order for the American Health Care Act to pass the House tonight. But every whip count out there this morning spells bad news.
As of this morning, the AHCA looks dead. But there's still a House Freedom Caucus meeting with Trump before lunchtime. That meeting, and additional changes to the bill, could significantly change these counts.
Axios counts 28 "no" votes right now. Some other whip counts:
- CBS News: 33 "cannot support the bill in its current form"
- CNN: 26 "no" votes
- The Hill: 32 "no" votes
- Huffington Post: 29 "extremely likely to be against"
- NBC News: 30 "against the bill or leaning against it"
- New York Times: 31 "no" votes
- NPR/WNYC: 33 "opposed"
- Washington Post: 37 "opposed"