Feb 1, 2017 - Politics & Policy
Highlights from Trump's African-American summit
President Trump is currently holding a listening session with African-American leaders at the White House. Flanked by Ben Carson and Omarosa, a few quotables from POTUS during the time the press was allowed in the room:
- Chicago: Trump said that if those involved in violence in the city don't stake steps to curb it, then "we'll solve the problem for them."
- The inner cities: He charged Ben Carson with working to improve wages and reduce violence and promised he'd do so "big league."
- Media reports about the MLK bust in the Oval: "I don't watch CNN. I don't watch fake news, but Fox has treated me good." Followed by: "So much of the media is the opposition party … It's a very sad situation."
- On Frederick Douglass: While discussing the new National Museum of African-American History and Culture, Trump said Douglass is "somebody who has done a terrific job that is being recognized by more and more people."
- Looking ahead: He told the room that he'd like to triple or quadruple his vote share among African-Americans in 2020.