Every industry identifying its creeps
There has been an outpouring of sexual misconduct allegations in recent weeks, spanning from politics to the music industry and the restaurant business. Every industry is scrambling to identify the men behaving badly and do something about it.
Why it matters: It's a clear picture of just how widespread this problem is. From the TED talk empire, to Harvey Weinstein in Hollywood, and the U.K. defense secretary, there is no one industry or field that isn't affected by sexual harassment.
- Congress has settled over $17 million worth of sexual misconduct and discrimination cases over 20 years.
- U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore has several allegations against him.
- Sen. Al Franken has admitted to sexual harassment.
- Allegations against President Trump have been brought back into the spotlight after his reaction to Franken and Moore.
- CNN talked to six women about "tech's systemic problems" with sexual harassment.
- Amazon Studios director Roy Price was suspended after accusations of harassment.
- Binary Capital co-founder Justin Caldbeck left the firm last summer after allegations of unwanted sexual advances.
- Famous New Orleans chef John Besh stepped down from the Best Restaurant Group after multiple sexual harassment allegations.
- Celebrity chef Todd English was sued by several employees over sexual harassment.
- The Washington Post details how harassment in the restaurant industry runs rampant.
- Former ad industry head Cindy Gallop called out sexual harassment in her industry.
- In 2016, a study showed that half the women in advertising had experienced sexual harassment, per Ad Age.
- Over 50 women accused Weinstein of harassment and abuse.
- "One Tree Hill" writer and "The Royals" creator Mark Schwahn was accused by actors and crew members alike.
- Kevin Spacey was accused by several House of Cards employees of inappropriate and "predatory" behavior; Anthony Rapp accused Spacey making sexual advances towards him when he was 14.
- The Huffington Post reported a study that revealed a majority of Chicago-area hospitality industry employees had been sexually harassed by a guest, had a guest touch or try to touch them, and more.
- Sexual harassment in the field of scientific research is prevalent, per Vox, when studies occur in remote workplaces (like Antarctica).
- Kirt Webster, major country music publicist, left his company after sexual assault allegations.
- Mark Halperin lost his book and HBO show deal, as well as contributing position with MSNBC, after five women accused him of harassment during his time at ABC.
- NPR news chief Michael Oreskes resigned after two women accused him of sexual misconduct and harassment.
- New Republic literary editor Leon Wieseltier lost financial backing on his coming magazine after being accused of sexual harassment.
- Photographer Terry Richardson was dropped by major fashion magazines due to a history of sexual harassment.
- Since 1982, more than 290 U.S. Olympic officials and coaches have been accused of sexual misconduct, spanning over 15 sports.