Sep 11, 2017 - Science
DHS Advisor: It may take weeks before power is restored to Florida
Homeland Security Advisor Tom Bossert joined Sarah Sanders Monday to brief reporters on Hurricanes Harvey and Irma:
- On 9/11's 16th anniversary and impending terror attacks: "We don't have any current active threats against the homeland."
- Harvey aid: Roughly 700,000 people have registered for assistance in the regions affected by Hurricane Harvey.
- Irma priorities: Life-saving operations are still the top priority. DHS also worried about flooding, housing, debris and power restoration.
- Disaster relief resources: "Right now, we have plenty of resources to get through this," said Bossert, but he expects the government will request three or four more supplemental appropriations.
- Role of climate change in hurricanes: "Causality is something outside of my ability to analyze right now... we'll have to do a larger trend analysis at a later date."
- On more than 5 million people being without power in Florida: Bossert said it could be weeks before power is restored.