Greg Ruben / Axios
We've introduced you to Stephen Miller as "the ideas guy and translator who is a true believer in the policies that delight Trump's base." The Charlotte Observer had a look at Miller during his time as a student at Duke that inspired a deeper dive into his college newspaper columns from 2006-2007. Some key quotes to help understand one of the president's key advisers:
- On putting together a 9/11 memorial event: "Anything that portrays America as under attack by Islamic terrorists, as even the most purely apolitical 9/11 memorial inevitably will, challenges the university dogma."
- To a classmate who called him a racist: "You're obsessed with race. You see everything in terms of race, and you see everyone who disagrees with your worldviews as a racist. And guess what? Almost everybody you've been talking to thinks something is wrong with you."
- On the dominance of American culture: "Continue to worship at the alter [sic] of multiculturalism and we may come to see that we are participating in the sacrifice of the one culture which binds us all."
- On religion in society: "No just society can survive which abandons God."
- On "unpatriotic dissent": "Every American has the right to support a policy of retreat and capitulation, and, as so many leftists do, they also have right to lie and slander the country and the president to further this agenda."
- On his perception of liberal bias in Duke's classes: "This isn't an education — it is a form of political advocacy and indoctrination, which is unprofessional and violates the tenets of academic freedom by which universities like Duke claim to be guided."
- On the Duke lacrosse scandal: "The last year offered a horrifying tutorial in the moral bankruptcy of the left's politically correct orthodoxy and the corruption of our culture at its hands."
- On Christmas political correctness: "It's the most wonderful time of year — but you wouldn't know it looking around Duke's campus. You'd probably find more Christmas decorations at your local mosque."
- On Hollywood's "culture war": "[T]he Hollywood crowd feels sympathy for the terrorists, detests Republicans and sees America as an obstacle to a better world."
- On his plan for "making Duke perfect": "Create a smoking lounge where all members of the Duke community can come to indulge in their favorite tobacco product. The room should have plenty of mahogany and leather, plasmas, darts, a grand piano and a professional full-service bar."
Read more about the president's inner circle: The Bannon coup