Nov 27, 2018

White House denies blocking CIA director from briefing Senate on Khashoggi

CIA Director Gina Haspel. Photo: Xinhua/Ting Shen via Getty Images.

National security adviser John Bolton denied a report from the Guardian Tuesday that said the White House is preventing CIA Director Gina Haspel and other intelligence officials from briefing the Senate on the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

What's new: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary James Mattis briefed the Senate on Wednesday. Pompeo avoided answering why Haspel did not appear at the briefing. CIA press secretary Timothy Barrett later told NBC News that "The notion that anyone told Director Haspel not to attend today's briefing is false."

Why it matters: Intelligence officials are normally present at such a meeting, especially given the Senate is set to vote on a measure that could end U.S. support for the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.

The backdrop: Haspel's absence would be particularly noticeable, given she was dispatched to Turkey following Khashoggi's death and has reportedly heard an audio recording of the murder.

  • Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said he might not vote against the resolution unless Haspel testifies before the committee, The Washington Post reports.
  • The CIA also released a report stating that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing.
  • Several lawmakers have criticized Trump's response to the incident (last week Trump said the U.S. would stand by Saudi Arabia, despite the release of the CIA report).

Go deeper: "I don't speak Arabic": Bolton says he hasn’t listened to Khashoggi tape

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect "what's new," including both John Bolton's and Timothy Barret's denials.

Go deeper

Updated 36 mins ago - Technology

Twitter: Trump's Minnesota tweet violated rules on violence

Twitter said Friday morning that a tweet from President Trump in which he threatened shooting in response to civil unrest in Minneapolis violated the company's rules. The company said it was leaving the tweet up in the public interest.

Why it matters: The move exacerbates tensions between Twitter and Trump over the company's authority to label or limit his speech and, conversely, the president's authority to dictate rules for a private company.

Updated 50 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Trump threatens to "assume control" of Minneapolis over unrest

Flames from a nearby fire illuminate protesters standing on a barricade in front of the Third Police Precinct in Minneapolis on Thursday. Photo: Kerem Yucel/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump threatened via Twitter early Friday to send the national guard to Minneapolis following three days of massive demonstrations and unrest in the city over George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody this week.

Details: "I can’t stand back & watch this happen to a great American City, Minneapolis. A total lack of leadership. Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act together and bring the City under control, or I will send in the National Guard & get the job done right," Trump tweeted after a police station was torched by some protesters.

Updated 2 hours ago - Politics & Policy

In photos: Protests over George Floyd's death grip Minneapolis

Protesters cheer as the Third Police Precinct burns behind them on in Minneapolis on Thursday night. Photo: Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

Cheering protesters set a Minneapolis police station on fire Thursday night in the third night of unrest following the death of George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody in the city, per AP.

The state of play: Minnesota's governor on Thursday activated the state's national guard following violent outbreaks throughout the week, as the nation waits to see if the officers involved will be charged with murder.