The United States has surpassed Germany as the largest recipient of new asylum applications worldwide, according to a new report this week from the United Nations Refugee Agency.

Expand chart
Data: UNHCR, Forced Displacement in 2017 report; Chart: Harry Stevens/Axios

The big picture: This revelation comes as the polarizing immigration debate in the U.S. and Europe is getting more divisive. The European Union has been bitterly divided over the migration of refugees, while President Trump has said that the U.S. "will not be a refugee holding facility" under his administration.

What’s happening now:
Key findings:
  • There was an overall reduction in asylum applications last year — to 1.9 million, after 2.2 million in 2016 and 2.5 million in 2015, according to the report.
  • Of the 1.9 million, the U.S got 331,700, making it the largest recipient of new asylum applications. That doubled the 172,700 asylum claims from the previous two years combined.
  • Yes, but: Only 65,600 asylum decisions were made during Trump’s first year in the White House — and there’s a backlog of 642,700 requests. 43% of the United States' overall requests are from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.
  • Meanwhile, applications plummeted by 73% in Germany between 2016 and 2017 — from 722,400 down to 198,300. This drop has been linked to the closure of a travel route through the Balkans in 2015.
  • Italy received the third largest number of new asylum applications — 126,500 — in 2017, and Turkey came in fourth with 126,100.
Go deeper:

Go deeper

12 mins ago - Podcasts

Palantir co-founder on its mission and controversies

Palantir Technologies today went public at an initial valuation of more than $21 billion, giving investors a chance to buy into one of Silicon Valley's most talked-about tech companies.

Axios Re:Cap dives into Palantir's mission and controversies with company co-founder Joe Lonsdale.

Commission on Presidential Debates wants "additional structure" for remaining debates

Photos by JIM WATSON and SAUL LOEB / AFP) (Photo by JIM WATSON,SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images

The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Wednesday that it plans to implement changes to rules for the remaining debates, after Tuesday night's head-to-head between Joe Biden and Donald Trump was practically incoherent for most of the night.

What they are saying: "Last night's debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues," the CPD said in a statement.

Biden condemns Proud Boys: "Cease and desist"

Joe Biden told reporters on Wednesday that his message to all white supremacist groups is to "cease and desist. That’s not who we are. This is not who we are as Americans."

Driving the news: President Trump was asked specifically about the far-right group Proud Boys at the debate Tuesday night, and rather than condemning them, the president said, "Proud Boys: Stand back and standby."