Yellen at a hearing in Washington. Photo: Andrew Harnik / AP
President Trump is expected to name his pick to be chairman of the Federal Reserve before leaving on an Asia trip Nov. 3, Bloomberg reports. Here are the candidates:
- Current chair Janet Yellen
- Fed board member Jerome Powell
- National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn
- Former Fed member Kevin Warsh
- Stanford University economist John Taylor
Why it matters: "At issue for the next Fed chair, if Yellen isn't renominated, is ensuring the long expansion doesn't give way to a recession," Bloomberg writes.