- Jonathan Swan
- May 12
Trump's Comey fight spooks Capitol Hill
Cliff Owen, Evan Vucci / AP
There is widespread concern among Congressional leadership about Trump's frame of mind in the wake of the Comey firing.
Senior Senate aide: "It has to stop ... never seen anything like this in my entire career."
House leadership source: "Lot of anxiety, don't know next shoe to drop."
Here are the concerns we've heard from senior congressional sources.
- Trump going after FBI director he just fired. Trump is supposed to be enacting an agenda, but is setting up a huge fight with someone who has nothing to lose.
- White House is careening between crisis after crisis. "We need our asset out there every day barnstorming for tax reform, health care," the senate aide said.
- Who can tell him no? Where is Reince, where are the adults?
- Whose idea was it to blame Rod Rosenstein?
- What an awful position this created for Richard Burr, the Senate Intel chair who has been working with Comey on this investigation.
- What about the forgotten people? if they burn all this time on fights in DC, how can they deliver results to people in Trumpland?
- Russia thing is self-inflicted. Root of it was Trump's Obama tweet. Very little sympathy for Trump from exasperated people.
Next up: Trump's morning Twitter targets