Photo: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images
President Trump told reporters Tuesday his top 5 candidates to replace former national security adviser John Bolton, after saying last week that he was considering 15 candidates for the position.
Why it matters: The U.S., either on a diplomatic or military level, is currently engaged in conflicts with Iran, Venezuela, North Korea and Afghanistan. Trump has thus far in his term had 3 national security advisers, a crucial position that heads up the White House National Security Council.
- Top hostage negotiator Robert O'Brien.
- Former deputy national security adviser Ricky Waddell.
- Department of Energy undersecretary for nuclear security Lisa Gordon-Hagerty.
- Bolton's former chief of staff Fred Fleitz.
- Vice President Mike Pence's national security adviser Keith Kellogg.