Trump: I asked Comey if I was under FBI investigation
Evan Vucci / AP
Trump told NBC's Lester Holt he decided to fire James Comey before meeting with Jeff Sessions and Deputy A.G. Rod Rosenstein, contradicting repeated White House statements.
- Trump says Comey told him once at dinner and twice over the phone that he was not under investigation. "I said, 'if it's possible, would you let me know, am I under investigation?'"
- Trump said the dinner came about "because he wanted to stay on" as FBI Director, and he told Comey "we'll see what happens."
- Trump: "I know that I'm not under investigation. Me. Personally. I'm not talking about campaigns, I'm not talking about anything else. I'm not under investigation."
- Does it cross any lines? No, per Pete Williams' sources, who say the conversations would violate no laws.
- Pulling no punches: Trump called Comey a "grandstander" and a "showboat."