Axios Jan 1
The legalized marijuana era begins in California
"California pot shops prepare for their first day of legal recreational marijuana sales," by L.A. Times' Angel Jennings and Sarah Parvini:
- The nation's largest state today marks its first day of legal recreational marijuana sales, after voters approved legalization in 2016.
- Robert Taft Jr., founder of the medical marijuana dispensary 420 Central in Santa Ana, "brought in five new cash registers and hired six additional 'budtenders.'"
- "To sell cannabis commercially in January — for recreational or medical use — marijuana businesses must have local approval and a state license."
- Per AP: In general, the state will treat cannabis like alcohol, allowing people 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of pot and grow six marijuana plants at home."
- Bummer: "Los Angeles has delayed accepting applications for legal sales until Jan. 3, and it will be weeks before any shops open."