- Shannon Vavra
- May 15
Republicans: Trump classified info reports "troubling"
J. Scott Applewhite / AP
After The Washington Post reported that President Trump shared highly classified information with Russian officials last week, Republican Senator Bob Corker said the White House is in a "downward spiral," and Paul Ryan is asking for an explanation:
- Bob Corker: "The White House has got to do something soon to bring itself under control and in order. It's got to happen...Obviously they're in a downward spiral right now and they've got to figure out a way to come to grips with all that's happening." Corker added, "To compromise a source is something that you just don't do."
- John McCain: "It's disturbing" and "We certainly don't want any president to leak classified information but the president does have the right to do that."
- Lindsey Graham: "If it's accurate, it'd be troubling."
- Paul Ryan, via his spokesperson: "We have no way to know what was said, but protecting our nation's secrets is paramount. The speaker hopes for a full explanation of the facts from the administration."
- Marco Rubio said he's "got to go and turn on the recording system in my office," and also said, "I haven't seen the story…Sometimes this stuff is breaking faster than our ability to check online."
- Frank LoBiondo said "Classified Intelligence is classified for a reason and must be respected and protected" and this is "deeply concerning." He said he would raise the issue with the House Intel Committee this week.
- Jim Risch: It's no longer classified the minute he utters it."
- Susan Collins: "Can we have a crisis-free day? That's all I'm asking."
Read how Trump has reacted to classified leaks in the past, here.