Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who withdrew the nomination before the vote. Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) withdrew President Trump’s nomination of Ryan Bounds to serve on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals just moments before his candidacy was set for a confirmation vote on Thursday due to racially insensitive past writings.

Why it matters: The move is a major win for Democrats and a blow to the GOP's ongoing transformation of the federal bench with young, conservative judges at a near-unprecedented pace.

The details: McConnell made his decision after some Republicans signaled their opposition due to Bounds’ past writings that denigrated multiculturalism and race-focused groups and questioned the value of cultural sensitivity training, per the Washington Post.

How it happened: Sources familiar with the matter told Politico's Burgess Everett that McConnell made the decision after Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), the only African-American member of Senate GOP conference, flagged Bounds’ past writings to Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who sided with Scott against the nominee. Scott then met with McConnell to voice his concerns and GOP lunch, which prompted other Republicans to help sink the nomination, per Politico.

  • However, Democrats had long opposed Bounds, who would have been Trump’s 24th Circuit Court nominee. At a contentious confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee in May, he apologized for some of his undergrad writings and told Democratic lawmakers that his rhetoric was “overheated” at the time, WashPost said.
  • Advancing a judicial nomination in the Senate only requires a simple majority. All 49 Senate Democrats had voted Wednesday to block Bounds' nomination, while 50 Republicans moved to advance it (except for Sen. John McCain, who's absent). But by Thursday morning, the nomination didn't have the votes to pass.

Flashback: This is not the first judicial pick from Trump to have his nomination pulled over controversial records. Last year, the White House was forced to drop the nominations of Brett Talley and Jeff Mateer over past controversial remarks.

  • In a speech on religion and homosexuality, Mateer said transgender children are part of "Satan's plan" and advocated for gay conversion.
  • Talley had been criticized for a blog post he wrote about Barack Obama and gun control following the Sandy Hook shooting. And in a 2011 online post, he defended “the first KKK.”

Go deeper: How Trump is reshaping the courts.

Go deeper

Felix Salmon, author of Capital
35 mins ago - Economy & Business

Wall Street is living up to its bad reputation

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

Recent headlines will have you convinced that Wall Street is hell-bent on living up to all of its stereotypes.

Driving the news: Goldman Sachs is the biggest and the boldest, paying more than $5 billion in fines in the wake of the 1MDB scandal, in which billions were stolen from the people of Malaysia.

1 hour ago - Health

Ex-FDA chief: Pence campaigning after COVID exposure puts others at risk

Former FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb said "the short answer is yes" when asked whether Vice President Mike Pence is putting others at risk by continuing to campaign after several aides tested positive for COVID-19, stressing that the White House needs to be "very explicit about the risks that they're taking."

Why it matters: The New York Times reports that at least five members of Pence's inner circle, including his chief of staff Marc Short and outside adviser Marty Obst, have tested positive for the virus. Pence tested negative on Sunday morning, according to the VP's office, and he'll continue to travel for the final stretch of the 2020 campaign.

Pence to continue traveling despite aides testing positive for COVID-19

Marc Short with Pence in March. Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Marc Short, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, tested positive for the coronavirus Saturday and is quarantining, according to a White House statement.

Why it matters: Short is Pence's closest aide, and was one of the most powerful forces on the White House coronavirus task force. Pence and second lady Karen Pence tested negative for the virus on Sunday morning, according to the vice president's office.