Defense Secretary Jim Mattis (on left) and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford. Photo: Andrew Harrer-Pool / Getty Images

President Donald Trump is expected to reveal a program as early as next month that will increase the role that Pentagon attaches and State Department diplomats play in weapons sales in order to boost sales abroad, Reuters’ Mike Stone and Matt Spetalnick reported in an exclusive. One senior administration official and a National Security Council spokesperson confirmed the plan to Axios.

Why it matters: The U.S. already is the world’s top arms supplier. Critics of America’s human rights record could be quick to point out this helps the U.S. implicitly or explicitly support violence abroad or even terrorist activities.

The details, per Reuters:

  • It would be a part of Trump’s “Buy American” push and is expected to roll out as a National Security Decision Directive.
  • It could include an easing of rules on exports for foreign countries’ purchases of U.S.-made military equipment.

The big picture:

  • Trump’s administration already has made several controversial international sales, including those to Saudi Arabia and to Bahrain.
  • Former President Obama also worked to make it easier for U.S. arms sales to foreign countries, with limits on who the recipients could be. (Arms exports under Obama more than doubled former President George W. Bush's tally, per DefenseOne.)
  • The senior administration official and NSC spokesperson told Axios that national security, foreign policy, and human rights will still be central to arms transfers reviews and approvals.
  • U.S.-based defense contractors stand to benefit from the changes and could help them counter increasingly aggressive rivals in international arms sales, including Russia and China, per Reuters. “This is a win-win for the US," a defense industry official told Axios. "You get American manufacturing jobs, stronger ties with ally nations, you keep production lines hot. It’s exactly the approach that we need moving forward.”

What's next: The senior administration official told Axios the rollout should be expected sometime this winter or spring. The interagency process of ironing out proposals between the Pentagon, State and Commerce is moving forward right now.

  • "What is changing is that this Administration is putting greater focus on ensuring decisions are not delayed unnecessarily," the source told Axios.

Response: A Defense spokesperson declined to comment on the plan.

Editor's note: This has been updated with White House comment and a comment from a defense industry official.

Go deeper

Updated 19 seconds ago - Politics & Policy

Biden enters final stretch with huge cash advantage over Trump

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden in Wilmington, Delaware, on Monday. Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden had $177.3 million in the bank at the end of September, per the latest Federal Election Commission filings.

Why it matters: President Trump's re-election campaign reported having $63.1 million in the bank at the end of last month.

Of note: Trump was well ahead of Biden earlier in the year.

Go deeper: The green tsunami

Editor's note: This is a developing news story. Please check back for updates.

Updated 13 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios

  1. Politics: Americans feel Trump's sickness makes him harder to trustFlorida breaks record for in-person early voting — McConnell urges White House not to strike stimulus deal before election — Republican senators defend Fauci as Trump escalates attacks.
  2. Health: The next wave is gaining steam.
  3. Education: Schools haven't become hotspots — University of Michigan students ordered to shelter-in-place.
  4. World: Ireland moving back into lockdown — Argentina becomes 5th country to report 1 million infections.

Court allows North Carolina mail-in ballots deadline extension

An absentee ballot election worker stuffs ballot applications at the Mecklenburg County Board of Elections office in Charlotte, North Carolina, in September. Photo: Logan Cyrus/AFP via Getty Images

North Carolina can accept absentee ballots that are postmarked Nov. 3 on Election Day until Nov. 12, a federal appeals court decided Tuesday in a 12-3 majority ruling.

Why it matters: The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling against state and national Republican leaders settles a lawsuit brought by a group representing retirees, and it could see scores of additional votes counted in the key battleground state.