Situational awareness: President Trump says "it certainly looks like" journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, calling it "very sad." Go deeper.
1 big thing: Sports Equinox has arrived
You're living through history: This is the 18th time that the four major sports leagues (NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB) are in action on the same day, Sports Internet's Kendall Baker notes.
- Bonus: Major League Soccer and college football are also on air tonight.
The big picture: More than ever, America's past-times are (sometimes) serving as a respite from our charged politics, and today offers something for everyone.
Driving the news:
- NBA: Chicago v. Philadelphia, Miami v. Washington, Los Angeles Lakers v. Portland
- NHL: There are nine games tonight
- MLB: Boston v. Houston
- NFL: Denver v. Arizona
Between the lines: "There was a 16-year period (1985-2001) without a single sports equinox," Baker notes. "But now that Thursday Night Football is a fixture, the World Series starts later, and the NBA season starts earlier, they're much more frequent."
- The luckiest city in America: Los Angeles, which could match Phoenix's 2001 mark for having all four major pro sports teams playing on the same day... if the Dodgers make it to Game 5 of the World Series on Oct. 28.
The bottom line: Buckle up and grab the remote.
P.S. "The N.B.A. announced Thursday that beginning next year, select players would be able to earn $125,000 to play in its development league, the G League, for a year before entering the N.B.A. draft." [NYT]
Bonus: Pic du jour
Prince Harry hugs a member of the public as he arrives at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne, Australia.
2. What you missed
- The Trump administration is downgrading its diplomatic mission to the Palestinian Authority. Go deeper.
- Two American troops were wounded, and three prominent officials of Afghanistan's Kandahar province were killed, today when their own guards opened fire in a security meeting. Go deeper.
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has pulled out of "Davos in the Desert," while Fox Business became the latest media company to exit. Go deeper.
- Apple is hosting an event on Oct. 30 in New York to showcase its new hardware, including what it has in store for the holidays. Go deeper.
- Essential has cut 30% of staff amid product cancellations and slow sales of its initial smartphone.
3. 1 crazy Disney thing
A Tennessee couple has pulled off the wild feat of visiting six Disney parks, on East and West coasts, in just 20 hours, the AP reports.
- "After an evening flight to Orlando, [Heather and Clark Ensminger] arrived at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on Wednesday at 6:15 a.m., Eastern Daylight Time, and were the first people let into the park when it opened for breakfast at 7 a.m."
- "About two hours later, they went to Epcot, and by 10:30 a.m. they were at the Magic Kingdom where they drank apple cider at Gaston’s Tavern."
- "The plane touched down at Los Angeles International Airport about 6:45 p.m., Pacific Daylight Time, and, after navigating rush hour traffic, they were at Disney California Adventure Park more than an hour later."