Situational awareness: ProPublica has posted secretly-recorded audio of migrant children wailing at a detention center after being separated from their parents at the border.
- Among the quotes... A border agent jokes: "Well, we have an orchestra here, right? ... What we're missing is a conductor."
- Go deeper: Listen here.
1 big thing: The anti-Trump army on separating families
The crowd of prominent American leaders speaking out against President Trump's decision to separate children from their parents keeps growing.
The anti-Trump camp:
- Laura Bush: "I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart."
- Michelle Obama, retweeting Bush: "Sometimes truth transcends party."
- Barack Obama retweeted Michelle.
- Bill Clinton: "On this Father's Day I'm thinking of the thousands of children separated from their parents at the border. These children should not be a negotiating tool. And reuniting them with their families would reaffirm America's belief in & support for all parents who love their children."
- Hillary Clinton: "We should be a better country than one that tears families apart, turns a blind eye to women fleeing domestic violence, and treats frightened children as a means to a political end."
- Rosalynn Carter: "The practice and policy today of removing children from their parents' care at our border with Mexico is disgraceful and a shame to our country."
What the Trump camp is saying:
- Trump today: "The United States will not be a migrant camp and it will not be a refugee holding facility."
- Kirstjen Nielsen, Trump's DHS Secretary : "It is important to note these minors are very well taken care of. Don't believe the press... Illegal actions have and must have consequences."
2. What you missed
- Surprise! Trump said today that he is "directing" the Pentagon to “establish a space force as the sixth branch of the Armed Forces,” to be called the “Space Force.” Go deeper.
- Trump taunted Angela Merkel: "The people of Germany are turning against their leadership as migration is rocking the already tenuous Berlin coalition... Big mistake made all over Europe in allowing millions of people in who have so strongly and violently changed their culture!" Go deeper.
- The Supreme Court has agreed to hear arguments on an antitrust case alleging that Apple created a monopoly with its App Store. Go deeper.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping's hardline approach to Taiwan is getting results. Go deeper.
- Tech news: SurveyMonkey has confidentially submitted its registration to go public. Go deeper.
- The Justice Department's inspector general confirmed today that he's looking at potential mishandling of confidential information by former FBI director James Comey. Go deeper.
3. 1 fun thing
“'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' is more fun than 'Jurassic World,' the AP's Lindsey Bahr reports.
Why it matters: "Mind you, this movie is pretty ridiculous and the script... is not very clever... and yet, it’s kind of an enjoyable, preposterous and thrilling ride that ticks through nostalgia beats like a shopping list."