Exclusive: Inside Uber's financials
Axios business editor Dan Primack, who is currently on vacation, landed the most recent Uber financial numbers:
- "Uber's gross bookings were up 17% in the second quarter..."
- " [T]he number of trips taken rose 150% in the past year and its adjusted loss fell..."
- "Uber had $6.6 billion in cash at quarter's end, down from around $7.2 billion at the end of Q1."
- "Uber drivers have earned $50 million in tips since the program started in late June."
"Why it matters: Uber spent most of the quarter under the cloud of a well-publicized internal investigation into sexual harassment and other unsavory aspects of company culture, and ended it with the forced resignation of CEO Travis Kalanick. The ride-hail giant's core business, however, appears to have kept humming along."
What you missed
- See the pics: White House unveils renovated West Wing. Photos.
- U.S. diplomats diagnosed with brain damage: After an apparent attack with a sonic weapon in Cuba. Details.
- Samsung's latest: What you need to know about the Galaxy Note 8, from Ina Fried.
- Trump targets Flake: The President attacked Sen. Jeff Flake, calling him "weak on crime and border."
- Google + Walmart: The new alliance of convenience against Amazon. Explained.
1 science thing
Alaska's warming permafrost may be turning into a carbon source.