McMaster: "We're running out of time" with North Korea
McMaster behind the podium at a White House briefing. Photo: Carolyn Kaster / AP
National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster previewed President Trump's 10-day Asia trip Thursday. Trump will tell Asian leaders that North Korea's "pursuit of nuclear weapons is a dead end."
Trump has 3 objectives for his trip to Asia: to call for the denuclearization of North Korea, to advocate for fair trade relationships, to promote a free and open Indo-Pacific region, McMaster said.
- Trump has made 43 calls to Info-Pacific leaders since taking office.
- "It's in China's interest" to make sure the Korean peninsula is denuclearized.
- Will Trump use "fire and fury" rhetoric? "The president will use whatever language he wants to use ... I don't think the president really modulates his language. Have you noticed him do that?"
- Will Trump put North Korea back on the list of state sponsors of terrorism? That's "under consideration."
- Will Trump condemn authoritarian leaders abroad? "How much does it help to yell about these problems?" The president is "quietly" advancing human rights around the world.