Secretary of Defense James Mattis speaks to press outside of the Pentagon. Photo: SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images

Speaking to reporters at the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense General James Mattis expressed support for creating a combat command specifically to cover space as well as the need for the military to address space "as a developing warfighting domain."

The big picture: A Pentagon plan for President Trump's proposed Space Force is expected to be sent to Congress as early as this week. While the president and his defense secretary have not always seen eye-to-eye on foreign policy, the secretary explained, the Pentagon is in "complete alignment" with Trump on defending U.S. assets in space.

"We are going to have to address it as other countries show the capabilities to attack those assets," Mattis said.

The details: Vice President Mike Pence is the "point man" on space, according to the Pentagon, and Mattis and Pence are working together and with congressional committees to finalize the proposed entity.

  • "We are still putting it together... We’ll get it right," Mattis told reporters. "We’ll work it though the Congress. We have the direction from the president, and we are underway."

The Pentagon's proposal is a step towards creating a specific space combatant command that would fall under U.S. Strategic Command — currently, only the Air Force has a Space Command. Although Trump proposed a separate military branch dedicated to defending space assets, only Congress can approve such a move.

The latest: Fox is reporting that Vice President Pence will roll out a plan for the development of a Space Force in a speech at the Pentagon on Thursday.

Go deeper: NASA administrator throws support behind Trump's 'Space Force'

Go deeper

7 hours ago - Podcasts

Facebook boycott organizers share details on their Zuckerberg meeting

Facebook is in the midst of the largest ad boycott in its history, with nearly 1,000 brands having stopped paid advertising in July because they feel Facebook hasn't done enough to remove hate speech from its namesake app and Instagram.

Axios Re:Cap spoke with the boycott's four main organizers, who met on Tuesday with CEO Mark Zuckerberg and other top Facebook executives, to learn why they organized the boycott, what they took from the meeting, and what comes next.

Boycott organizers slam Facebook following tense virtual meeting

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

Civil rights leaders blasted Facebook's top executives shortly after speaking with them on Tuesday, saying that the tech giant's leaders "failed to meet the moment" and were "more interested in having a dialogue than producing outcomes."

Why it matters: The likely fallout from the meeting is that the growing boycott of Facebook's advertising platform, which has reached nearly 1000 companies in less than a month, will extend longer than previously anticipated, deepening Facebook's public relations nightmare.

Steve Scalise PAC invites donors to fundraiser at Disney World

Photo: Kevin Lamarque-Pool/Getty Images

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise’s PAC is inviting lobbyists to attend a four-day “Summer Meeting” at Disney World's Polynesian Village in Florida, all but daring donors to swallow their concern about coronavirus and contribute $10,000 to his leadership PAC.

Why it matters: Scalise appears to be the first House lawmakers to host an in-person destination fundraiser since the severity of pandemic became clear. The invite for the “Summer Meeting” for the Scalise Leadership Fund, obtained by Axios, makes no mention of COVID-19.