Blind Date: Thomas and Erin both love fitness. But are they a fit for each other?
We're back with another installment of our Blind Date series.
- This time, we paired Thomas and Erin.
- Ready to meet your match this year? Click here to apply for an upcoming date, and tell your single friends to apply. It's super easy!
Editor's note: Responses have been edited lightly for length and clarity.
First, let’s get to know Thomas:
- He’s 27 and a software engineer.
- His ideal day in Charlotte: A morning workout, a lunchtime hike, dinner in South End and an evening rave.
- When asked to describe himself, Thomas said he’s been compared to a golden retriever. (In the dating world, a golden retriever boyfriend is someone with an easygoing, “just happy to be here” persona — essentially the dog breed in human form).
Now, let's meet Erin.
She’s 29 and works in HR.
Her ideal day in Charlotte: Sunny weather, a morning workout and “snacks and bevs outdoors with friends.”
Her hobbies include yoga, weightlifting, reading, food and cooking.
With a shared appreciation for fitness and the outdoors, Thomas and Erin seemed like a potential match. So, we tested their connection over wine and spam musubi at HEX in Camp North End.
- I chatted with Thomas and Erin separately a few days after their date to hear how it went.
How do you typically meet your dates?
Thomas: Typically through dating apps, out at bars or through hobbies.
Erin: I don’t! I have been pretty busy recently, and dating has been very low on my list of priorities. I have a dating app, but I don’t use it.
How would you describe your conversation?
Thomas: It was enjoyable. We had a good amount of similar experiences and interests to talk about.
- It was playful at points and serious at others.
Erin: Super fun! Very easy and we had a ton to talk about.
How would you describe your chemistry?
Thomas: We had good conversations and it didn’t feel awkward. It’ll be interesting to see if the chemistry grows.
Erin: Not so sure we have immediate sparks, but I don’t know if that’s always the precursor to success.
What are your thoughts on the date overall?
Thomas: It was a fun and relaxed first date.
Erin: I had a really good time. I think Thomas and I are pretty different in our nature, but we found that we do have a lot in common and we definitely connected on those things.
Editor’s note: I texted Erin and asked if she thought Thomas had golden retriever energy. Her response: “He seems more interesting than most of the guys who claim themselves to be golden retrievers lol.”
What’s next? How did you leave it?
Thomas: I got her number. We were both interested in a second date, so I’m planning one for after the holidays.
Erin: I’d go out with Thomas again. He’s intelligent, and seems like he has a really good head on his shoulders.
Axios Charlotte thanks our partners for supporting our content. Sponsorship has no influence on editorial content.
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.