8 pick-your-own apple orchards within 2 hours of Charlotte
It might be a while before it starts to feel like fall, but the first sign of the new season is finally here. Apple picking has begun.
Here are eight orchards within two hours of Charlotte where you can pick-your-own apples. This is not a ranking.
About an hour from Charlotte, Windy Hill is a destination for apple picking. After you fill your basket, reward yourself with a well-earned flight of hard cider and apple donuts.
- Details: The farm opens on Aug. 17 for to-go purchases and The Cider Bar opens Aug. 18. U-pick season starts in early September (reservations only).
- Location: 1860 Black Highway York, SC
This orchard includes a cider mill, a country store, educational tours, group tours and a bakery. Stock up on cider and sweets (including apple cider donuts) before you leave.
- Details: The bakery and U-pick open on Aug. 12. Reserve a pass for picking here.
- Location: 2075 Pleasant Hill Ave Morganton, NC
- Details: A representative from the farm tells Axios the farm will only be open one or two Saturdays this year in October for pick-your-own apples. This year they’ll have Daybreak, Fuji, pink lady, Granny Smith, gold rush and old fashion Winesap apples.
- Location: 6938 Eaglesfield Road Gibsonville, NC
On Saturdays, a $19.95 ticket gets you access to the orchard, a bag of U-pick apples, apple and cider tastings, a hayride and a four-ounce apple cider slushie.
- Details: The Saturday Apple Pickin’ Adventure deal starts Sept. 23. Reserve a spot here.
- Location: 506 Parks Crossroads Church Road Ramseur, NC
Sky Top is a gorgeous mountain-top orchard where you can pick apples, bring a picnic, meet farm animals and relax with your friends and family. They have apple cider donuts and tons of apple-related goods you can purchase and take home — like apple butter, jams, fudge and cider.
- Details: The U-pick season has begun. Check out which varieties are available here.
- Location: 3403 Greenville Highway Flat Rock, NC
Make a day of apple picking, hayrides, a corn maze and more — all with beautiful mountain views. You can find a full breakdown of all the varieties (and possible uses) here.
- Details: The U-pick season starts August 18.
- Location: 170 Stepp Orchard Dr. Hendersonville, NC
They have an entire trail map for you to use if you want to bring a little more adventure to your day of apple picking with more than 20 varieties of apples. There is also live music and other events.
- Details: They’re open for U-pick 10am-4pm Wednesday-Sunday. Read the guidelines here.
- Of note: Sometimes the orchard has a lapse in availability and there may not be any apples available for picking depending on the week you go.
- Location: 1025 Orchard Road Spruce Pine, NC
In September, each hayride includes a trip to the apple orchard where everyone gets to pick a half-peck bag of apples. Reservations are required and cost $15 per person. Apple picking season at Carrigan Farms is short so visit early for the best picking conditions.
- Details: Currently, reservations are available for Sept. 5-10. More dates and times are coming soon. Check here for updates.
- Address: 1261 Oakridge Farm Hwy Mooresville, NC
Editor’s note: This guide was updated as of Aug. 16, 2023 with the new season’s dates/times.
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.