Teal Turnip opens in Oakhurst with chef’s table, seasonal menu and specialty cocktails
The Teal Turnip will open in the Oakhurst shopping center on Monroe Road on Friday, May 5.
The restaurant will hold a Cinco de Mayo celebration for its Friday grand opening, with “posh” tacos and signature drinks.
Context: Teal Turnip is the brainchild of chefs Taylor Kastl and Steve McGinley, the team behind Tayste Catering, a local catering company that started in 2015.
Why it matters: Part of The Teal Turnip’s mantra is to be “accepting” and “inclusive,” and “a career and not just a job,” explains Kastl. Essentially, everything Kastl says she didn’t have as a young, female chef in the restaurant industry.
- “You got to work twice as hard as the men to get your presence out there and I don’t want it to be a fight for other females in this industry.”
What to expect: A “fine dining in a tee-shirt” atmosphere, says Kastl. “We like to say we’re 10% pretentious. We make damn good food without being stuffy about it.”
Space: The 2,500-square-foot restaurant will have a large patio and a window into the expansive kitchen.
- Kastl says the kitchen will take up most of the indoor space. “We want it to be really food-focused.”
Chef’s table: Inside the kitchen, you’ll find a large chef’s table, where guests will be served by Kastl and McGinley, while taking in all of the sights, sounds and smells that go into creating the meals.
- It’ll be available to reserve for $525 for six people.
Of note: Kastl and McGinley will also continue to run their catering program in the back.
The menu will feature a lot of small plates with “adventurous menu items,” according to Kastl. Meaning, you’ll find non-traditional ingredients like beef tongue, beef cheeks and liver mousses in the mix. “This is not a place for chicken tenders,” Kastl joked.
- The menu will be hyper-seasonal, which means it’ll change often and there’ll be rotating daily specials.
- As for drinks, you will find a selection of wine, a full bar with thirteen signature cocktails. And, they’re mocktail-friendly.
Yes, and: The restaurant is committed to minimizing food waste. “If we really can’t use it, we compost it.” said Kastl.
Details: The Teal Turnip is located at 1640 Oakhurst Commons Dr. Suite 105, in the same shopping center as Swirl, NoDa Yoga and Night Swim Coffee.
Of note: The Teal Turnip will not serve dinner or accept reservations for Friday’s grand opening block party. Regular service and reservations will begin Saturday, May 6.
- Following Friday’s grand opening, they’ll be open Wednesday-Saturday. They’ll serve lunch from 11am-4pm and dinner from 4-9pm.
- They plan to be open for limited service on Tuesdays from 5-8pm— expect live music and a bar bites menu.
- You can make a reservation through their website and stay updated on their Instagram.
- The Teal Turnip is a child-free establishment.
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.