Que Onda opens soon with a second-floor balcony and new menu in Plaza Midwood
Que Onda Tacos + Tequila will open its fifth location on Thursday, April 20, at 5pm in Plaza Midwood.
The grand opening will include giveaways, like free entrees for a year for one winner.
Context: The locally owned Mexican comfort food chain has four other locations — Uptown, Matthews, Highland Creek and University City.
- Que Hospitality owns both Que Onda (its flagship brand) and sister brand, Que Fresa Taqueria + Bar, which will expand to Uptown this fall.
What to expect: The Plaza Midwood location will offer a more grown-up look and feel to the Que Onda brand, owner Manny Flores tells Axios. “It’ll be like a test kitchen.” The design of the new spot will feature:
- A industrial-feel to the interior, rather than Que Onda’s typical colorful taqueria vibe.
- A second floor for private dining and events.
- A second-story balcony with beer, draft margaritas and skyline views.
- A walk-up window that’ll serve margaritas to-go.
The menu: Flores says the menu of the Plaza Midwood location will be heavily entree-focused, with an emphasis on creative comfort food. The new menu will include:
- Ten new dishes, including a salmon with veracruzana sauce and a smoked brisket with a creamy tamal sauce.
- A revamped cocktail program, including creative fusion cocktails, like a tamarind margarita with togarashi. Don’t worry, they’ll still have their soft-serve margs.
- The restaurant will also test out new desserts and launch a brunch menu soon.
Details: The Plaza Midwood location will be open Sunday-Thursday from 11am-10pm and Friday and Saturday 11am-11pm.
- In the coming months, they plan to test expanding weekend hours to 1 or 2am.
- Que Onda in Plaza Midwood is located at 1518 Central Ave.
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.