First look: The return of Mattie’s Diner
Mattie’s Diner will open in Plaza-Shamrock on April 25 with new vegan and vegetarian options on the menu.
Don’t worry, the deep-fried hotdogs, Mattie’s Ma’s Meatloaf, milkshakes, and crazy French toast are all making a comeback.
Why it matters: The greasy spoon has been closed for more than six years, but ever since owner Mattie King started posting updates on his Instagram account, it’s been clear from the comments section that Charlotte residents have not forgotten about the iconic spot.
Flashback: Mattie’s Diner was a fixture at the Music Factory for years.
- The 24-hour restaurant closed in 2015.
- Since then, King has been looking for a new, more permanent place to park his concept, which he bought from a used car lot in New Jersey in 2005, according to the Charlotte Observer.
Context: King said he’s spent the last six years trying to keep the brand alive. Whether because of rezoning difficulties, or locations falling through, he hit roadblock after roadblock — all while DreamKey Partners (formerly Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership), kept the 40-by-16-foot building in storage.
- One day, King was driving around and saw the old Tire Depot lot, on the corner of The Plaza and Shamrock Drive across from Food Lion, had a “For lease” sign.
- “I almost crashed my car trying to get the number,” King said.
Since that day, King has worked with landowners Jamie Doyle and Greg Godley to rezone the property and begin construction. “They’re more than just leasers now; they’re partners in the project with me,” King told Axios last year.
What to expect: The new diner will feature a lot of the old charm. It is an adaption of a 1948 diner, after all.
- Expect jukeboxes, the original diner shell, and about 60-70% of the original menu.
- The signage and some interior pieces were revamped and designed by local sign maker George Hatzikostopoulos.
- Its new layout will fit more than twice as many patrons as the original, and the outdoor patio will be larger.
The menu: King tells me he spent about half a year eating vegan and testing out recipes for the restaurant.
- There’s a small herb garden outside, which King says will grow cayenne peppers for their homemade hot sauce.
- Even the fountain drinks will lean on the healthier side—instead of your classic coke, you can grab some “Smart Soda” which is infused with vitamins.
- King went local when choosing coffee and dessert options. Their house coffee will be Summit coffee and for dessert, you can grab a slice of Mama Wards Little Layer Cake. “It’s incredible, it’s beautiful, it’s family-owned, local, made with more love than actual flower,” King boasted on Instagram.
Details: Mattie’s will be open 7am-9pm every day.
- The address is 3100 The Plaza.
Take a look inside:
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.