Goodyear House team to open Old Town Kitchen this week in Rock Hill
The team behind the Goodyear House restaurant in NoDa is opening its sophomore concept, called Old Town Kitchen & Cocktails, in Rock Hill this Thursday, July 1.
Why it matters: A number of Charlotte restaurateurs are noticing the recent growth of the South Carolina town just over the border, fueled in large part by the town’s booming sports industry.
- Familiar names such as Common Market and Kre8 Gastropub’s Rob Masone have secured spots in the fast-growing downtown. Most are going near big developments like the new Panthers facility.
“We love what’s happening down there,” chef and partner Chris Coleman says. “The city of Rock Hill drew us in.”
Background: Old Town Kitchen will open in the former White Horse space within the historic Lowenstein Building. Those are big shoes to fill for the small town.
- The White Horse was open for 44 years and was a staple in the community when it closed permanently in October 2020 amid the pandemic.
What to expect: Coleman calls Old Town an “ode to the classic neighborhood restaurant” with American fare like sandwiches and meat-and-twos.
- Dishes include an “extremely spreadable” pimento cheese ball, salt-and-pepper catfish and a T-bone steak.
- Like Coleman’s menu at The Goodyear House, he’ll focus on local and seasonal ingredients.
The space: The restaurant is about 6,000 square feet with two patios — one with lounge furniture and firepits, the other for more traditional dining.
- In total, the restaurant will seat about 120 inside and 40 outside.
- The main dining room is library-inspired given the close proximity to Winthrop’s campus.
Team: Built On Hospitality restaurant group partners A.J. Klenk, Sean Potter and Coleman will oversee Old Town, as they do GYH. The rest of the staff are new hires. The two restaurants will share a pastry chef, and Coleman will split his time between them.
Timeline: The restaurant is set to open Thursday, July 1.
Location: The exact address is 300 Technology Center Way, Ste. #203, Rock Hill.
Here’s a look around.
Editor’s note: This article was last updated on June 29, 2021 to include opening details and new photos.
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.