New Three Amigos location opening in south Charlotte this April
Raydal Hospitality — the restaurant group behind Sabor, Three Amigos and La Caseta — plans to open four new restaurants in 2021, starting with a new Three Amigos at Colony Place.
Why it matters: Owner Dalton Espaillat tells me he’s grown Sabor Latin Street Grill to its capacity in Charlotte with 17 locations, so this year he’s focused on growth for Three Amigos and La Caseta.
The second location of Three Amigos will open on or around April 15 at 7741 Colony Road, in the shopping center off Rea that includes Harris Teeter and Brooklyn Pizza Parlor. Espaillat is already looking for a third location for the Mexican restaurant known for its enchiladas as well as two new locations for La Caseta, CBJ first reported.
- Three Amigos’ new location will have the same menu as the original Central Avenue location, but with a more upscale and modern interior.
- It’ll also have a patio, fireplace, and a larger bar with a focus on margaritas.
“The original one is a hole-in-the-wall kind of place in a really old shopping center,” Espaillat says. “Everything’s been passion and Frankensteined together.” This new location is a chance to start fresh, but keep the same intimate feeling and low price points.
Menu highlights: Three Amigos was actually first named “La Casa De Las Enchiladas,” but Espaillat renamed it after he purchased the restaurant in 2010. Their enchiladas are a must-try.
- Enchilada verde ($10.49) comes with three tortillas filled with chicken and covered with verde salsa, queso fresco, onion, sour cream, lettuce, tomato and avocado.
- Fajitas mixtas ($16.95) – A combination of chicken, steak and shrimp grilled and served with onion, peppers, lettuce, tomato, avocado and tortillas.
- Pro tip: Thursday is $8.99 all-you-can-eat enchiladas night, and Friday has $5.99 large house margs.
These expansion plans will help set Raydal Hospitality up for 2022, which Espaillat hopes is a year of growth for Sabor beyond Charlotte. The fast casual restaurant already has plans to open in Greenville, South Carolina. Next up: Raleigh and Atlanta.
- Espaillat has grand plans for the local chain: He wants a Sabor in every major city in the U.S.
Zoom out: He tells me he sees expansion as a vehicle for building wealth for his employees. Once an employee has worked for Espaillat long enough, he offers them a stake in the restaurant. That primarily includes long-serving managers and chefs.
More Mexican food: 6 best Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants in Charlotte
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.