5 things I didn’t expect when I went to Wing Haven
(1) Tons of flowers – Not very surprising considering it is a garden, BUT it was honestly much bigger than I imagined. I’m not a gardener or flower expert (in fact, I know next to nothing about flowers), but Wing Haven had flowers and trees I’d never heard of. Like the Varnish Tree. And some fruit trees. Dope.
(2) Massive trees – Two of the largest trees I’ve seen in my life can be found here. Chaco for scale. I wear size 10.
(3) Quotes on quotes on quotes – The place is filled with little signs and plaques on the brick walkways with quotes or sayings on them. Some about flowers, some about life, some about getting lost in the woods (my favorite).
(4) Places to sit – It’s nice to walk around and explore, but if you’re looking at birds or flowers, or if you brought an old novel or a brand-new iPad, it’s nice to sit. Pick one of a few dozen benches, steps, chairs or bases of trees, hunker down, and get after whatever it is you’d like to do at the moment. Wing Haven is good for that.
(5) Sanctuary – Although I couldn’t always see a bird, I could always hear several. I found it pretty amazing that tucked away in a nice neighborhood in a pretty large city is a true sanctuary. Wing Haven takes great care of the grounds, and the proof is in the decade-old trees, the beautiful sights and sounds, and the simple joy one gets walking into a place that seems so far removed from the hustle and bustle of life.
More Charlotte stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios Charlotte.