Jan 16, 2019

More stimulus could be on its way to the euro zone

Dion Rabouin, author of Markets

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker (L) and President of the European Central Bank Mario Draghi. Photo: Frederick Florin/AFP/Getty Images

European Central Bank President Mario Draghi gave hints that he may continue the central bank's bond-buying program through this year, saying the economy of the 28-member bloc is weaker than he previously expected.

What's happening: The central bank just last month began to phase out its bond purchase stimulus program that has totaled 2.5 trillion euros, in a first step toward higher interest rates. Interest rates on some deposits are still negative in the euro zone.

Germany's 5-year low in economic growth reported this week along with unimpressive reports from Italy, Britain, France and Spain (the euro zone's largest economies) in recent months have given that impression, even as the bank said it would solider on raising interest rates and cut its 15 billion euro per month stimulus.

  • Draghi also highlighted risks from Brexit and the economic slowdown in China.

Go deeper: European Union's Juncker wants euro as leading reserve currency

Go deeper

Trump says he will campaign against Lisa Murkowski after her support for Mattis

Trump with Barr and Meadows outside St. John's Episcopal church in Washington, D.C. on June 1. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump tweeted on Thursday that he would endorse "any candidate" with a pulse who runs against Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska).

Driving the news: Murkowski said on Thursday that she supported former defense secretary James Mattis' condemnation of Trump over his response to protests in the wake of George Floyd's killing. She described Mattis' statement as "true, honest, necessary and overdue," Politico's Andrew Desiderio reports.

8 hours ago - World

The president vs. the Pentagon

Trump visits Mattis and the Pentagon in 2018. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty

Over the course of just a few hours, President Trump was rebuffed by the Secretary of Defense over his call for troops in the streets and accused by James Mattis, his former Pentagon chief, of trampling the Constitution for political gain.

Why it matters: Current and former leaders of the U.S. military are drawing a line over Trump's demand for a militarized response to the protests and unrest that have swept the country over the killing of George Floyd by police.

New York Times says Tom Cotton op-ed did not meet standards

Photo: Avalon/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

A New York Times spokesperson said in a statement Thursday that the paper will be changing its editorial board processes after a Wednesday op-ed by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), which called for President Trump to "send in the troops" in order to quell violent protests, failed to meet its standards.

Why it matters: The shift comes after Times employees began a coordinated movement on social media on Wednesday and Thursday that argued that publishing the op-ed put black staff in danger. Cotton wrote that Trump should invoke the Insurrection Act in order to deploy the U.S. military against rioters that have overwhelmed police forces in cities across the country.