Aug 7, 2018

Elon Musk says he may take Tesla private for $85 billion

Tesla founder and CEO, Elon Musk. Photo: Joshua Lott/Getty Images

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk tweeted Tuesday that he may acquire the electric car company for more than $85 billion (including debt).

Timing: The tweet came just after the Financial Times reported that a Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund had acquired around a $2 billion stake in Tesla. Musk has not yet provided any additional information, such as the identities of his financing partners, nor has Tesla itself made a comment.

  • Shares spiked from $355 to $370 on Musk's tweet, but they have since fallen back a bit. Shortly after 2pm they were halted.
  • Musk currently holds around 19.87% of Tesla's outstanding stock.

The big question: It is unclear how the SEC will view Musk's tweet. It does allow companies to disseminate material information via social media, but this isn't really an official company communication nor a formal takeover offer. And it certainly is impacting the stock price.

The smaller question: $420 per share makes sense as a typical take-private premium, as it would be around 22% higher than where Tesla shares opened this morning. But "420" is also slang for consuming cannabis, prompting some on Twitter to wonder if Musk is doing a bit of trolling.

Update: More tweeting from Musk:

Go deeper

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.

Energy deputy secretary nominee in hot water after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trump’s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevada’s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that “what we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."

Exclusive: Pompeo says new China media restrictions "long overdue"

Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

The State Department announced Tuesday that it has designated five Chinese state media outlets as "foreign missions," meaning that they will be treated as arms of the Chinese government.

Driving the news: In his first public statement on the new designation, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells Axios that the five outlets are "clearly controlled by the [Chinese Communist Party], and we are simply recognizing that fact by taking this action.”

Go deeperArrow1 hour ago - World