Key stats from the latest report from the China Internet Network Information Center, per ECNS, include
- 829 million users at the end of December;
- 648 million short video users, 78.2% of China’s total Internet users;
- National Internet availability rate at 59.6%, with 26.7% of internet users or 222 million living in rural areas;
- Cumulative mobile internet traffic increased 189.1% to 71.1 billion GB;
- Average time people spent online of 27.6 hours per week;
- 610 million online shoppers, 592 million of whom used mobile phones to shop;
- 600 million online payment users.
Quick take: The latest data are just another reminder of why many U.S. internet firms are willing to work with Beijing and its censorship demands to gain approval to operate in China.