The Trump Organization's negotiations to build a tower in Moscow were a continuation of efforts that go back decades. Here's what we know, and still don't know, about the talks that continued well into the presidential campaign that landed Donald Trump in the White House.
Stories by Chris Canipe
Record shutdown hits Trump states hard
Rural Western states that voted for President Trump are disproportionately affected by the government shutdown, which today sets a record as the longest in U.S. history, since federal workers there make up a large share of the workforce.
The big picture: Out of the 10 states with the most affected federal employees per 10,000, 6 voted for Trump — Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Idaho and West Virginia.
- Out of the 10 states, 4 voted for Hillary Clinton — D.C., Maryland, New Mexico and Virginia.
Why it matters: Trump's hard line over wall funding could end up hurting some of the people who put him into office.
- One example: Offices of the USDA's Farm Service Agency, which helps farmers affected by China's soybean tariffs, are closed due to the shutdown.
- An Axios analysis from September found that Trump states were the ones hit hardest by his tariffs.
About the data: The map above shows federal workers in the nine departments affected by the partial shutdown: Homeland Security, HUD, Commerce, Interior, Transportation, State, Agriculture, Justice and Treasury.
- The data also includes other employees who are affected: EPA, FDA, Indian Health Services, NASA and Small Business Administration.
Our favorite data viz projects from 2018
We made a lot of charts in 2018! From volcanos to midterms, here are 10 of our favorites:
- The long odds against gun legislation in Congress
- Black Panther soars past Titanic, Last Jedi and Jurassic World
- Here's every volcano that has erupted since Krakatoa
- Kennedy's shift to the left of the Supreme Court
- How the special elections could predict the midterms
- Most campaign contributions come from outside candidates' districts
- 11 million U.S. workers are in the trade war's crosshairs
- Hurricane Florence: Keep tabs on shifting storm track
- All the planets we've found in the Milky Way — so far
- Corporate America leans GOP in 2018 midterms