Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue. Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images
Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Monday that his agency doesn’t plan to extend the up to $12 billion emergency relief package for farmers into 2019, Reuters reports. The aid, unveiled in July, was implemented to offset damages caused by President Trump’s trade war with China.
The details: Perdue told reporters that he’s monitoring market conditions, and that “farmers, even under financial duress, will make their best business decision for 2019 without the expectation of a marker facilitation program.” The USDA has so far allocated $6 billion to farmers, and Perdue said Monday that a second round of relief should be outlined by December.