Updated Apr 2, 2019

New Zealand warns gangs must hand back guns or face 5 years in prison

New Zealand’s acting Prime Minister Winston Peters. Photo: Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images

New Zealand's government introduced legislation Monday that would ban the type of guns used in the Christchurch attacks — and acting Prime Minister Winston Peters warned defiant gang members: You will hand them over.

The latest: The bill passed its first reading Tuesday afternoon local time with all but 1 of the 120 lawmakers voting in favor of the legislation. Police Minister Stuart Nash said during the debate gun-ownership was a privilege, not a right.

Details: Gang members told New Zealand media they wouldn't hand back their guns. But Peters said: "Yes, you will be handing them back. It's not a matter of cooperation, it's a matter of being obliged to conform with the law of this country, or to be operating illegally."

What they're saying: "Will gangs get rid of their weapons? No. Because of who we are, we can't guarantee our own safety," Sonny Fatu, president of the Waikato branch of the Mongrel Mob, told Stuff. "The attacks between our organisations are gang-on-gang, they do not involve the non-gang members." The gangs said they would never attack innocent people, as happened in the mosque attacks.

What's next? The bill has bipartisan support, and the new law is expected to come into effect April 12 — less than a month after the March 15 attacks. The government has established a buyback scheme costing up to NZ$200 million ($136 million).

  • People will have until Sept. 30 to hand back their military-style, semi-automatic weapons and assault rifles.
  • Nash said anyone who didn't hand back the weapons could face 5 years in jail.

Go deeper: New Zealand bans all semi-automatic weapons and assault rifles

Go deeper

Mass shooting in Milwaukee: What we know so far

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett in 2012. Photo: John Gress/Corbis via Getty Images

Six people died in a shooting at the Milwaukee Molson Coors brewery complex on Wednesday, including the shooter, Mayor Tom Barrett told reporters at an evening press conference with local police.

What's happening: Police said "there is no active threat" just before 6 pm ET, but noted the scene remains active. Police chief Alfonso Morales told reporters that officers have "more than 20 buildings we have to secure" at the complex and they do not currently have all employees accounted for, as more than 1,000 were at the complex during the shooting.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 31 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Live updates: CDC confirms possible community spread of coronavirus

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

U.S. clinicians have found the novel coronavirus in a person who did not recently return from a foreign country nor have contact with a confirmed case, the CDC said Tuesday.

The big picture: COVID-19 has killed more than 2,700 people and infected over 81,000 others. By Wednesday morning, South Korea had the most cases outside China, with 1,261 infections. Europe's biggest outbreak is in Italy, where 374 cases have been confirmed.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 47 mins ago - Health

Trump assigns Pence to lead U.S. coronavirus response

Photo: ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump announced at a press briefing Wednesday evening that he'll be putting Vice President Mike Pence in charge of leading the administration's response to the coronavirus.

The big picture: In the wake of a market sell-off and warnings from health officials that there's a real threat of the coronavirus spreading in the U.S., Trump sought to reassure the nation and Wall Street that the U.S. is "ready" for whatever comes next.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 3 hours ago - Politics & Policy