Nov 23, 2022 - Politics & Policy
Democrat Mary Peltola beats Sarah Palin in Alaska's at-large House race
- She also became the first Democrat to represent the seat in nearly half a century, Axios' Andrew Solender notes.
- Peltola won in August to serve the rest of Republican Rep. Don Young's term after he died earlier this year. That term ends on Jan. 3.
- Peltola served in the Alaska House of Representatives from 1999 to 2009.
Zoom in: Election officials on Wednesday announced the results of the state's new ranked-choice voting system.
- For races in which no candidate earns 50% of the vote, the candidates with the fewest votes are eliminated.
- When a candidate is eliminated, their votes are reallocated to voters' second choice, per the state's division of elections.