Jun 21, 2022 - Economy

Kellogg splitting into three companies

Kellogg cereals

Photo: Newscast/Universal Images Group via Getty Images

Kellogg Company announced Tuesday that it will split itself into three independent companies.

Driving the news: Kellogg's North American cereal and plant-based foods businesses are being transformed into new, independent firms while the remaining business focuses on "global snacking" with international food products.

  • Kellogg's U.S., Canadian, and Caribbean cereal and plant-based businesses accounted for about 20% of company sales last year, while the rest of the business accounted for roughly 80% of net sales.
  • The names of the three companies will be determined later, per the press release.
  • Company shares jumped 7% in pre-market trading on Tuesday, per Reuters.

What they're saying: "Kellogg has been on a successful journey of transformation to enhance performance and increase long-term shareowner value. This has included re-shaping our portfolio, and today's announcement is the next step in that transformation," Steve Cahillane, Kellogg Company's Chairman and CEO, said in the press release.

Flashback: Kellogg faced sustained worker strikes at its cereal plants last year.

avatar

Want more stories like this? Sign up for Axios Closer

Go deeper