Bronx community holds mass funeral for fire victims
A mass funeral was held in the Bronx on Sunday for the victims of a fire that filled a 19-story apartment building last week.
The big picture: The fire, caused by a defective electric space heater, killed 17 people, including eight children. Smoke from the blaze spread throughout the building, leaving dozens in life-threatening condition.
- "People are dying because they lived in the Bronx," Sheikh Musa Drammeh, who led the memorial held at the Islamic Cultural Center in the Bronx, said per the Washington Post. "Their families will never ever see them again because they lived in the Bronx."
- The Twin Parks North West complex, where the fire occurred, had been issued at least two violation notices ahead of the incident, according to the Post.