All remaining missionaries kidnapped in Haiti are free, Christian group says
The 12 remaining members of a Christian missionary group who were kidnapped by a Haitian gang in October are safe, Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries said Thursday.
The big picture: The news comes two months after police say the 400 Mawozo gang kidnapped 17 U.S. and Canadian missionaries in Port-au-Prince and demanded a ransom. Five of the abducted missionaries had previously been released.
- Of the 12 individuals who found freedom Thursday, 11 were U.S. citizens, according to the State Department.
- Christian Aid Ministries said in a news conference Monday that the 12 escaped from captivity by eluding their captors and walking miles overnight. Until Monday, details of their ordeal was unknown.
- Haiti has been plagued by worsening violence since the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse in July.
What they're saying: "We are tremendously relieved for them and their families, with whom they will soon be reunited," the State Department said in a statement Thursday.
- "The Administration remains committed to Haiti’s future and supporting the safety and prosperity of the Haitian people. We will continue to support the Haitian National Police to improve security for all Haitians, as well as U.S. citizens in Haiti."
- "We glorify God for answered prayer—the remaining twelve hostages are FREE!" Christian Aid Ministries said in a statement.
- "Thank you for your fervent prayers throughout the past two months. We hope to provide more information as we are able."
Editor's note: This article's headline and story have been updated with new details from Christian Aid Ministries, clarifying the group of 12 escaped captivity, and were not released by the Haitian gang.