Trump blasts "wacky" GOP Sen. Cassidy after "Axios on HBO" interview
Former President Trump on Monday blasted Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) after he told "Axios on HBO" that he is not sure Trump could win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
Driving the news: When told that Trump could be expected to win the nomination, Cassidy jumped in saying: "I don't know that."
- "Trump is the first president in the Republican side at least to lose the House, the Senate and the presidency in four years. Elections are about winning," Cassidy said.
- Cassidy suggested it is possible that Trump could lose the nomination: "Well, if you want to win the presidency — and hopefully that's what voters are thinking about — I think he might."
- Cassidy, one of the few Republican senators who voted to convict Trump at the impeachment trial in January, said he would not vote for Trump in 2024.
What he's saying: "Wacky Senator Bill Cassidy from Louisiana is a RINO Republican who begged for my endorsement in 2020 and used it all over the place to win re-election, much like Little Ben Sasse, and then voted to impeach your favorite President," Trump said in a statement.
- "Now, Wacky Bill Cassidy can’t walk down the street in Louisiana, a State I won by almost 20 points. He could not even be elected dog catcher today, the great people curse him," he added.
- "Wacky Bill is a totally ineffective Senator, but Louisiana does have a great Senator in John Kennedy."