Blinken warns Haitian migrants against "profoundly dangerous" journey to U.S.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Friday warned Haitian migrants in Mexico that they would not succeed in making it to the United States, calling the journey "profoundly dangerous," Reuters reports.
Driving the news: "The journey is profoundly dangerous and it will not succeed," Blinken said at a news conference in Mexico's capital, per Reuters.
- Blinken met with officials in Mexico to unveil a joint security plan and forge connections with the bordering country amid an influx of Haitian migrants passing through Mexico to the U.S.
- Blinken said U.S. and Mexican officials are in "close contact" over the surge of Haitian migrants at the border.
- Mexico Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said many Haitian migrants who traveled from South America to the border had been misled into thinking they could obtain legal residency in the U.S., per Reuters.
- "If 15,000 people come from Haiti, they want to work, they want to be here, it's not a problem for Mexico," Ebrard said.
The big picture: Blinken's meeting with Mexican officials comes after thousands of Haitian migrants sought refuge in Del Rio, Texas — many of whom were fleeing extreme poverty, disaster and political unrest.
Go deeper: Senate Dems express "outrage over the cruel treatment" of Haitian migrants