U.S. Navy identifies 5 sailors who died in helicopter crash off San Diego coast
The big picture: The Navy declared the five sailors dead Saturday after several days of rescue efforts that included 34 search and rescue flights, but held off on publishing their names until all next of kin had been notified.
The deceased include:
- Lt. Bradley A. Foster, a 29-year-old pilot from Oakhurst, California;
- Lt. Paul R. Fridley, a 28-year-old pilot from Annandale, Virginia;
- Naval Air Crewman (Helicopter) 2nd Class James P. Buriak, a 31-year-old from Salem, Virginia;
- Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Sarah F. Burns, a 31-year-old from Severna Park, Maryland;
- Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Bailey J. Tucker, a 21-year-old from St. Louis, Missouri.
The bottom line: An investigation into what caused the crash is ongoing, according to the Navy.