Liz Cheney: Trump is a threat “America has never seen before”
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) spoke on the House floor Tuesday evening, emphasizing the 2020 election was not stolen and saying that former President Trump's baseless claims of election fraud pose a threat that “America has never seen before.”
Why it matters: Much of the GOP establishment has turned on Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, due to her criticism of Trump and her vote to impeachTrump for a charge of inciting an insurrection at the Capitol.
- House Republicans will vote to oust Cheney from her position as conference chair on Wednesday.
What she's saying: "A former president who provoked a violent attack on this Capitol in an effort to steal the election has resumed his aggressive efforts to convince Americans that the election was stolen from him."
- "The election is over. That is the rule of law. That is our constitutional process."
- "Remaining silent and ignoring the lie emboldens the liar. I will not participate in that."
- "I will not sit back and watch in silence while others lead our party down a path that abandons the rule of law and joins the former president's crusade to undermine our democracy."
"Our election was not stolen and America has not failed."
Flashback: Last week House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was caught on a hot mic trashing Cheney, saying he "had with her."
- On Sunday he officially endorsed Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) to replace her.