Officer killed in vehicle attack to lie in honor in Capitol Rotunda
Capitol Police officer Billy Evans, who was killed last Friday in a vehicle attack on the Capitol, will lie in honor in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda on April 13, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) announced Tuesday.
What they're saying: "In giving his life to protect our Capitol and our Country, Officer Evans became a martyr for our democracy," Pelosi and Schumer said in a statement.
- "It is our hope that this tribute will be a comfort to the family of Officer Evans, particularly his children Logan and Abigail, as will the knowledge that so many Americans mourn and pray for them at this sad time," they added.
- "May this tribute also be a source of comfort and an expression of gratitude to the U.S. Capitol Police Force, which has awed our nation with their courage and resilience during this devastating time."
The big picture: Evans, an 18-year veteran of the force, died last week after a suspect rammed into Capitol Police officers with a car at an entrance to the U.S. Capitol.
- Capitol Police was already struggling after losing two officers in the wake of the Jan. 6 insurrection — one as a result of injuries sustained during the riot and another by suicide.
- After the second attack, the Capitol Police union chief said the force is approaching "a crisis in morale and force numbers."
What they're saying: "Billy was so proud to be a United States Capitol Police Officer. His colleagues from the North Barricade were the people he spent so many hours with, and their friendship was one of the best parts of his job. We hold them in our hearts, as we know they acutely share our grief," Evans' family wrote in a statement on Tuesday.
- "Our family is grateful for the immense level of support we have received from USCP in the darkest moment of our lives," they added.
What to watch: Evans will receive a ceremonial arrival next Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. on the East Front of the Capitol, according to Pelosi and Schumer.