Mar 22, 2021 - Economy

YouTube star David Dobrik stepping away from photo app Dispo

David Dobrik. Photo: Santiago Felipe/Getty Images

David Dobrik, the YouTube star who also co-founded buzzy photo app Dispo, is stepping down from its board and leaving the company, the startup told Axios.

Why it matters: Earlier on Sunday evening, venture firm Spark Capital announced it was stepping off Dispo's board and severing ties with the company in light of recent accusations of sexual assault against members of Dobrik's entourage. Some sponsors have also cut ties with Dobrik in the last several days.

Flashback: Just a month ago, Dispo, an app inspired by disposable cameras, raised a $20 million Series A round led by Spark Capital after a new beta version of its app quickly amassed thousands of users and buzz.

What they're saying: "David has chosen to step down from the board and leave the company to not distract from the company's growth," a Dispo spokesperson said Sunday.

  • "Dispo's team, product, and most importantly- our community- stand for building a diverse, inclusive, and empowering world. "

Of note: It's unclear whether other investors will follow suit.

Go deeper